Posted on Thursday, April 28, 2011 by NBA Playoff Schedule 2012
Many moons, months, and possibly eons ago, I wrote about an experiment- the South Beach Case Study. The SBCS is based on the unusual alignment of stars (I don't get the fixation with astronomy either; please bear with me) that occurred last summer. LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, and Chris Bosh- the "Three Kings"- came together to give us NBA fanatics a real life case study that could give answers to our astronomically divine inquiring minds- give yourselves a round of applause for having both a divine inquiring basketball mind and the patience to keep reading after my unfortunate attempt at rhyming.
|The kingly test subjects.|
"Three superstars of this caliber have never played together at their absolute peak…The big questions are: can two ball-dominant slashers, James and Wade, work together? Will the egos of the three amigos collide or will they remember the sacrifices they promised to make in order to play with each other? What happens to a superstar's stats when he isn't playing in a single superstar-centric offense anymore? Who takes the last shot, Wade or James? What about substitution patterns and minutes distributions? Will their careers be extended because they don't have to lift their teams alone anymore?"
What has been answered through 58 wins, 24 losses, and a first round series victory over a solid Philadelphia team that wrecked my prediction of the matchup being "Boston vs. Atlanta in '08" all over again? For one- no, Philly didn't match up to their top-end talent-centric opponent like Atlanta did. But beyond that, we've secured our answers to a few of the pertinent questions listed above. Or at least, this season gave us some indications.
All three players saw more losses than gains in both raw numbers and advanced numbers when compared to last year's production. Bosh took the biggest hit; he went from 24 points and 10.8 rebounds per game to 18.7 and 8.3 rebounds per game. His rebound rate, PER, WS/48, and TS% all dropped. He played .2 minutes per game more than last year.
Wade's points and assists went from 26.6 and 6.5 per game to 25.5 and 4.6 per game. His rebounding went up significantly, while his TS% went up to 58.1 percent. He played .9 minutes more per game. James saw his scoring average drop three points per game and his assists average drop 1.6 assists per game. He saw a dip in just about every other stat except rebounding. He played .2 minutes per game less this year.
Bosh's offensive numbers going down should have been easy to guess. He played on a middling-at-best team that needed his production to compete. Going from the first option to the third option is a drastic drop, too.
James and Wade were the guys who shouldered some massive loads. Each was Atlas last year, carrying the world on his shoulders (That's it, I'm playing "Intergalactic" by Beastie Boys before I go to bed).
Suddenly, they could share. Sparingly, they let old habits get in the way (though it surely happened, especially at the start). Sullenly, opposing wing defenders prepared to take the duo on.
The minutes didn't decrease, but it does seem like the workload may have. By all accounts, all three players played the best defense of their respective careers this year, which helped Miami rank fifth in team defensive rating. Bosh needn't create as much by himself, - sounds like a hopeless and draining task if we're having a dirty mind- instead being used as a finisher. Wade's scoring efficiency increased, and he was able to play more consistent defense in more minutes per game. To me, James saw the greatest benefits from the decreased workload. He was more aggressive on the offensive glass, set picks, used different parts of the floor better, and successfully played off another primary ball-handling attacker after admirably handing him the reins sometimes.
We can now see how stats, roles and workloads are affected. Their egos seem to have remained in check for the most part. Questions regarding last shots, longer careers and true chemistry won't be fully answered until the team is healthy, the season ends, Pay Riley constructs the team with fewer holes and, ultimately, the players decide to retire.
As the SBCS enters phase/round two, I'll be previewing Miami vs. Boston.
Category Article Chris Bosh, Dwyane Wade, LeBron James, The South Beach Case Study
- Dunkle Wolken über Orlando
- Video: Top10, Playoff-Rd. 1
- Heute vor...40 Jahren: Bucks on Top
- Lakers vs Mavericks, estadisticas puesto a puesto
- Porra Playoffs 2011
- Grizzlies 99, Spurs 91; Grizzlies eliminan a Spurs...
- Top 5, Viernes
- Spurs vs Grizzlies Game 6
- 'Bockers behalten Billups
- 16, Tributo a Pau Gasol ¡¡NUEVO TEMA INEDITO DE NA...
- Partidos NBA online GRATIS!
- Jackson reitera que está será su última temporada ...
- Beautiful Girls Wallpaper
- Los "Beach Boys" de Miami y los "Big Three" de Bos...
- Lakers, Mavericks y Hawks avanzan a semifinales
- Top 5 , Jueves
- Mavericks vs Portland Game 6
- Lakers vs Hornets Game 6
- Magic vs Hawks Game 6
- Atlanta vs Orlando Game 6 ONLINE
- Heat y Thunder ya están en semifinales; Spurs se s...
- Top 10, Miercoles
- Nuggets vs Thunder Game 5
- Grizzlies vs Spurs Game 5
- Thoughts on the South Beach Experiment Thus Far
- Sixers vs Heat Game 5
- Ginobili y los spurs van por triunfo para seguir c...
- Gasol reconoce que el esfuerzo de todo el equipo h...
- Magic extiende la serie frente a Hawks; Lakers y B...
- Top 5, Martes
- Hornets vs Lakers Game 5
- Pacers vs Bulls Game 5
- Box Score Bouillon, Di.
- Hawks vs Magic Game 5
- Beetle 2012
- Mercedes-Benz SLS 63 AMG
- Rose y Bryant sufren ligeras lesiones de tobillo, ...
- Derrick Caracter, de los Lakers, detenido por esta...
- Grizzlies aventajan serie ante Spurs; Dallas y Den...
- Top 5, Lunes
- Thunder vs Nuggets Game 4
- Trail Blazers vs Mavericks Game 5
- Mazda 3
- Daewoo Turbo
- Spurs vs Grizzlies Game 4
- Edecan de Chevrolet
- HBD: Timmy wird 35
- Celtics eliminan a Knicks en cuatro juegos; Heat y...
- Top 10, Domingo
- Hornets vs Lakers Game 4
- Magic vs Hawks Game 4
- Celtics vs Knicks Game 4
- Box Score Bouillon, So.
- Back from the Grave
- Miami Heat vs Philadelphia 76ers - Game 4
- New York Knicks vs Boston Celtics Game 4 Online
- Philadelphia 76ers vs Miami Heat online GAME 4
- Indiana impide que Chicago festeje; Ganan Grizzlie...
- Top 10, Sabado
- Nuggets vs Thunder Game 4
- Spurs vs Grizzlies Game 3
- Mavericks vs Trail Blazers Game 4
- Bulls vs Pacers Game 4
- Black Skies for a Dark Horse
- Celtics lanzados a las semifinales y Lakers y Hawk...
- Top 10, Viernes
- Lakers vs Hornets Game 3
- Magic vs Hawks Game 3
- Celtics vs Knicks Game 3
- New releases & Group Gift!
- Diego Forlan
- Diego Forlan girlfriend zaira nara
- De negocios y pasiones
- Chicago y Miami a un paso de las semis y Portland ...
- top 10, Jueves
- Aficionadas de el real madrid celebrando a los cam...
- Aficionada de el real madrid celebrando la copa de...
- Edecan de el futbol mexicano en el juego de estudi...
- Porrista de los sixers en la NBA
- Mavericks vs Trail Blazers game 3
- Heat vs Sixers Game 3
- Bulls vs Pacers Game 3
- Chicago Bulls vs Indiana Pacers Game 3 ONLINE
- Kevin Love nombrado Jugador mas mejorado
- Vuelven "los cabezones" para promocionar los Playo...
- Shaq podria volver el Domingo
- Top 5, Miercoles
- Funny Pictures
- Lakers vs New Orleans Game 2
- Grizzlies vs Spurs Game 2
- Nuggets vs Thunder Game 2
- My Pick for 2011 NBA MVP
- Thunder vs Nuggets Game 2 ONLINE
- Club Sport
- Spurs, con la duda de ginobili, busca recuperarse ...
- Celtics y Mavericks toman ventajas de 2-0; Magic e...
- Top 5, Martes
- Trail Blazers vs Mavericks Game 2
- Hawks vs Magic Game 2
- Knicks vs Celtics Game 2
- ▼ April (440)
- ► 2010 (3530)
- ► 2009 (859)
- ► 2008 (480)
- ► 2007 (58)